The original Bestlite lamp was designed in 1930 by the English designer, Robert Dudley Best. Within a short period of time the Bestlite lamp proved a great success and was proclaimed the first Bauhaus manifestation in the UK by the leading British publication Architects Journal. During the Second World War the lamp achieved the status of a national treasure when Winston Churchill had one standing on his desk in his air-raid shelter beneath Whitehall. More than 75 years since it first went into production, the Bestlite lamp remains an elegant example of styling that adds warmth and intensity to any room. The lamp has gone on to become a design classic with an example on display at the Design Museum in London. The Danish design company, GUBI, has been producing the Bestlite range since acquiring the Global rights to the design in 2004.