This 1924 ashtray is one of the earliest designs by Marianne Brandt and dates back to the beginning of her activity at the Bauhaus. lt consists of a hemisphere of brass on a triangular base and a removable, nickel plated lid with a triangular opening for the ash. In 1925 this ashtray was illustrated in Bauhaus Book No. 7 by Walter Gropius, 'Neue Arbeiten der Bau hauswerkstätten', Albert Langen Verlag, Munich. This reproduction was created using one of the original prototypes, courtesy of the Bauhaus Museum in Berlin.